By Asawin Suebsaeng and Dave Gilson / Illustrations by Steve Brodner on Fri. November 2, 2012 2:00 AM PDT
Barack Obama's presidency has been an inspiration to many Americans—especially nutjobs. Ever since the first-black-president-to-be appeared on the national political stage, a cottage industry of conservative conspiracy theorists has churned out bizarro, paranoid, and just plain racist effluvia—some of which has trickled into the political mainstream. Below, we've charted some of the Obama-baiters best (i.e., worst) work. (Scroll down for more detailed descriptions of the conspiracy theories in the diagram.)
Disclaimer: It should go without saying that none of these are true. Follow links at your own risk.
1. Obama is a secret Muslim: This one began right after he took the stage at the 2004 Democratic convention, with chain emails alleging his "true" religious affiliation. The rumor soon found its way onto the popular conservative online forum Free Republic, and took on a whole new life in the years to come.
Related: Obama secretly speaks Arabic http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2009/06/goldfarb-does-obama-secretly-speak-arabic.php
, attended a madrassa as a kid in Indonesia http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/01/22/obama.madrassa/
, referred to "my Muslim faith" http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/muslimfaith.asp in an interview
, and was sworn in on a Koran. Steve Brodner http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/muslim.asp#quran
2. Obama is bringing 100 million Muslims to America: Avi Lipkin and his PR outfit Special Guests claimed to have evidence of a scheme http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2011/02/obamas-secret-muslim-plot
to bring roughly 100 million Muslims from the Middle East into the United States, converting the country into an Islamic nation by the end of Obama's second term and making it easier to obliterate Israel.
3. Obama once aided the mujahideen: Harlem pastor and professional race-baiter James David Manning contended http://www.examiner.com/article/pastor-barack-obama-was-a-cia-operative-during-the-1980s
that in his younger days, Obama went undercover as a CIA agent to facilitate the transfer of cash and weapons to the Afghan mujahideen in the '80s, thereby aiding what would become the Taliban.
4. Obama is in the pocket of the Muslim Brotherhood: Billy Graham's son Franklin wants you to know that Obama is allowing the Muslim Brotherhood to take over the federal government.
5. Obama redecorated the Oval Office in Middle Eastern style: Driven by his fierce sense of anti-American interior design, http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/photos/ovaloffice.asp
Obama got rid of the red, white, and blue decoration scheme in his White House office.
6. Obama married a Pakistani guy: World Net Daily correspondent and conspiracymonger extraordinaire Jerome Corsi posted a video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJKB51YWGes
in which he claimed to have "strong" evidence that Obama was once married to his college roommate from Pakistan. The smoking gun: Photos of the chums in which the future president is "sitting about on the [Pakistani roommate's] lap." Related: For years Obama wore a gold ring
on his left hand. Was it his gay-wedding ring?
7. Obama's ring has a Koranic verse on it: The very same ring, http://www.theblaze.com/stories/does-obamas-mystery-ring-really-have-there-is-no-god-except-allah-inscribed-in-arabic/
which Obama now wears as his (straight) wedding band, is allegedly emblazoned with a key phrase in the Islamic declaration of faith: "There is no god except Allah." (It's not. http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/weddingring.asp
8. Obama was funded by a Saudi prince: Another fairy tale http://www.wnd.com/2012/09/1979-article-ties-obamas-real-father-to-saudi-financier/
courtesy of Corsi: In late-'70s Chicago, Obama secured political and academic funding from a variety of sketchy Arab sponsors, including a Saudi prince. Which may explain why President Obama bowed http://www.wnd.com/2009/04/93696/
to the Saudi king when they met in 2009.
9. Obama was born in Kenya: In early 2008, fringe theorists began a push to prove Obama was born on foreign soil and was therefore ineligible to live in the White House. The theory http://www.obamaconspiracy.org/bookmarks/fact-checking-and-debunking/the-debunkers-guide-to-obama-conspiracy-theories/#birthcertificate
gained national attention thanks to the efforts of perennial GOP candidate Alan Keyes, "birther queen" Orly Taitz, http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/05/california-republican-senate-race-clusterfudge-orly-taitz
and Corsi. Related: Obama's birth certificate is a fake, http://news.yahoo.com/ariz-sheriff-says-obama-birth-certificate-fake-072751943.html
he killed his grandmother http://beforeitsnews.com/obama-birthplace-controversy/2012/05/did-obama-kill-his-grandmother-2184266.html
in Hawaii because she knew the truth, sealed access http://www.factcheck.org/2012/07/obamas-sealed-records/
to his birth certificate and other damning documents, and did pretty much everything horrible you could possibly do for the sake of a phony birth certificate. http://www.obamaconspiracy.org/bookmarks/fact-checking-and-debunking/the-debunkers-guide-to-obama-conspiracy-theories/
10. Obama lost his US citizenship: According to Corsi, Obama became a citizen of Indonesia
while he lived there as a child.
11. Michelle's "whitey" tape: During the 2008 campaign, rumors surfaced http://blogs.suntimes.com/sweet/2008/06/obama_fights_smear_michelle_ob.html
that a video of Michelle Obama using the word "whitey" would be released to sink her husband's campaign. It's never materialized. Related: The time Glenn Beck called Barack Obama a racist.
12. Obama was a Black Panther: Well, only if you're not very good at spotting photoshopped images. http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/photos/panthers.asp
13. Obama is the son of Malcolm X: Because, you know, black people. This charmer popped up on Atlas Shrugged, http://atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com/atlas_shrugs/2008/10/how-could-stanl.html
14. Pamela Geller's anti-Muslim website. (Geller is also known for obsessing over Shariah turkeys
she believes are destroying Thanksgiving.)
15. Obama is the son of Frank Marshall Davis: The conspiracy film Dreams From My Real Father
espouses the theory that Davis, a leftist activist, was not only Obama's ideological mentor but his biological father. Related: Obama got a nose job http://www.wnd.com/2012/10/yet-another-secret-about-obamas-life/
to make his nose look less like Davis'.
16. Obama's mom and dad were communists: That would be his real father, Barack Obama, Sr. And you know that communism http://mediamatters.org/video/2012/06/18/foxs-crowley-obamas-parents-were-communists-mot/162197
is an inherited condition.
17. Obama's ghostwriter was Bill Ayers: Conservative commentators claimed http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2011/03/24/jack-cashills-deconstructing-obama-argues-bill-ayers-wrote-obamas-memoirs.html
they uncovered evidence that ex-Weatherman Bill Ayers was the true author of Obama's 1995 memoir Dreams from my Father. Beyond their shared radicalism, Obama asked Ayers to help because he had writer's block. http://www.wnd.com/2009/09/110784/
18. Obama trained to overthrow the government: In 2008, leading Obama conspiracy theorist Andy Martin declared on Fox News' Hannity's America that the then-presidential candidate had trained for "a radical overthrow of the government" http://articles.latimes.com/2008/oct/10/nation/na-onthemedia10
during his time as a community organizer in Chicago.
19. Obama wouldn't say the Pledge of Allegiance: During the '08 campaign, Obama was rumored to have refused to say the pledge
during a town hall meeting. A photo http://www.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,1662530_1446035,00.html
of the incident was actually taken while the national anthem was being sung.
20. Obama removed the flag from Air Force One: …and replaced it with his campaign logo.
21. Obama ordered soldiers to swear allegiance to him: In April 2009, a clearly satirical report
detailing how secretary of defense Robert Gates was growing "extremely frustrated" with the White House's plans to scrub the Constitution from the military oath of loyalty made the rounds on the right-wing blogosphere.
22. Obama secretly gave away American islands to Russia: Texas House candidate Wes Riddle endorsed http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2012/06/conspiracy-watch-obama-giving-away-american-island-russia
this theory and noted the relinquishment as grounds for impeachment. However, the seven Arctic islands were actually given away in 1991 by President George H.W. Bush.Steve Brodner
23. Obama caused the recession—in 1995: According to a recent Daily Caller story, Obama's efforts to force banks to lend to African Americans in the mid-'90s led to the subprime mortgage crisis that killed the economy in 2008. http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2012/09/daily-caller-hawks-mother-all-incorrect-racist-obama-conspiracy-theories
24. Obama's youth reeducation camps: Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn.) warned that "young people will be put into mandatory service" http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2011/06/michele-bachmann-greatest-hits?page=2
at politically correct, billion-dollar camps run by the Democrats.
25. Obama's coming for your guns: Extreme gun-rights outfits, along with Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.), alleged that the Obama administration is supporting the (nonexistent) http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2011/10/united-nations-small-arms-treaty-rand-paul
United Nations Small Arms Treaty, which would lead to nationwide gun confiscation.
26. Obama's coming for your gold: This theory was floated by Glenn Beck—and the gold company he shilled for.http://www.motherjones.com/special-reports/2010/05/glenn-becks-golden-fleece
27. Obama is planning FEMA concentration camps: Again with the camps. This theory got a big boost from Glenn Beck (who claims he didn't mean anything by it) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/04/08/glenn-beck-fema-concentra_n_184692.html
. Related: An executive order titled, "National Defense Resources Preparedness," http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/03/obama-national-defense-resources-martial-law
was issued in the middle of March 2012. Conservative commentators saw it as a martial law power-grab that allowed the president to commandeer farmland, steal everyone's food, and draft any American into slave labor for a war of aggression against Iran. Also, he has a "secret vault" at Interpol's headquarters for imprisoning Americans. (Chuck Norris is on the case.)
28. Obama wants to confiscate your IRA: Townhall.com sent out an message ad claiming that Obama wants to seize your retirement account by force. http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2011/01/new-obama-conspiracy-confiscating-your-ira
29. Obama caused the BP oil spill: Conspiracy-minded radio host Alex Jones promoted
the theory that the Deepwater Horizon spill was all part of the administration's plans of oil nationalization and global government.
30. Obama was behind the Aurora massacre: In July, Gun Owners of America blasted out http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2012/07/right-wing-gun-group-aurora-was-inside-job
a press release claiming that the mass murder at a movie theater in Aurora, Colorado, was suspiciously timed. "Someone in Washington" was probably behind it, paving the way for Obama-led firearm confiscation and "government genocide."
31. Obama personally caused Hurricane Sandy: It wasn’t global warming that made Sandy so intense; it was Barack. Alex Jones' site http://www.infowars.com/hurricane-sandy-divine-wind-for-obama/
reported the president engineered the storm using a Pentagon weather modification project.
The mayhem caused by the hurricane would afford Obama the opportunity to score points by briskly managing disaster relief a week before the election.
32. Obama had Andrew Breitbart killed: In March 2012, conservative media impresario Andrew Breitbart died of heart failure. Less than a month prior to his death, he had announced that he had uncovered footage of Obama's formative years as a radical. So obviously, Obama had him offed.
(The tapes were later revealed to contain things like a young Obama hugging a black college professor.) http://www.mediaite.com/tv/hannity-debuts-breitbart-obama-college-video-media-hid-video-of-obama-hugging-professor/
Related: People—like a Rod Blagojevich fundraiser and an Obama impersonator—died between 2008 and 2012. Obama was in office between 2008 and 2012…http://beforeitsnews.com/conspiracy-theories/2012/07/stunning-videos-mysterious-deaths-surround-obama-the-obama-death-pool-2362216.html
33. Obama spiked the jobs report: "Jobs truthers" http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2012/10/no-rep-darrell-issa-did-not-call-investigation-september-jobs-number-conspiracy
(like former GE CEO Jack Welch and Florida tea party congressman Allen West http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/08/shit-allen-west-says-video-anthology
) accused the Obama administration of cooking the September unemployment numbers to manufacture a rosier picture of the economy and boost the president's chances of reelection.
34. Obama faked bin Laden's death: Since no photographs of Osama bin Laden's corpse were produced, the Al Qaeda leader must still be out there. Fox News' Steve Doocy http://mediamatters.org/video/2011/05/03/doocy-bin-laden-death-deniers-wont-believe-dna/179258
and Andrew Napolitano http://www.mediaite.com/tv/judge-napolitano-on-bin-laden-is-obama-pulling-a-fast-one-to-save-lousy-presidency/
entertained the idea that Operation Neptune Spear was merely a ploy to revive Obama's sagging approval ratings. Related: Obama was photoshopped into the iconic killing-OBL White House photo. http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/05/nine-bin-laden-lies-right-wingers-tell-obama
35. Obama's plan to fake an assassination attempt: A false-flag operation would create urban tumult and give Obama the pretext to declare martial law, thus suspending democracy, postponing the 2012 election, and prolonging his stay in office. http://wonkette.com/479749/tennessee-state-rep-knows-precisely-how-obama-will-steal-this-election
The theory was flagged by Tenn. State Rep. Kelly Keisling, among others, after circulating online.
36. Obama's planning a third term: The dust from the 2012 election had barely cleared when this one popped up. http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/11/right-wing-conspiracy-theory-barack-obama-third-term
37. Obama the brainwashing hypnotist: As a master of neurolinguistic programming,
Obama convinced Americans to vote for him via subliminal messages. Related: Rush Limbaugh pondered if hypnosis http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2009/02/conspiracy-watch-obama-hypnotist-chief
was the reason that so many Jewish voters were in the bag for Obama. In October, Georgia GOP lawmakers held a briefing on the president's secret mind-control plot. http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2012/11/georgia-senate-gets-52-minute-briefing-united-nations-takeover
38. Obama's teleprompter: Obama's eloquence is a myth! The 44th president is incapable of speaking in public with his teleprompter. http://nation.foxnews.com/president-obama/2012/07/26/obama-s-rough-month-teleprompter
39. Obama had a ghostwriter for everything: Jack Cashill over at WND had a hot scoop on how Obama's love letters to his college girlfriend were ghostwritten. http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2012/05/conspiracy-du-jour-obama-did-not-write-love-letters
40. Obama's anti-Semitic poetry: However, according to the American Thinker, http://www.americanthinker.com/2012/10/did_obama_write_anti-semitic_poetry.html
Obama's ghostwriters did not write his youthful poem "Underground," which compares Jews to fig-eating underwater apes and echoes Koranic verse.
41. Obama's exiled lover: Obama was supposedly fooling around
with an attractive young staffer from his 2004 Senate campaign. Michelle Obama had the temptress packed off to the Caribbean before the '08 campaign.
42. Obama is gay: Which explains why he joined Rev. Jeremiah Wright's church. No, really.?!
http://www.wnd.com/2012/10/trinity-church-members-reveal-obama-shocker/ (Via Corsi, of course.)
43. Obama's crack cocaine/gay sex/murder orgy cover-up: In 2008, a small-time conman
named Larry Sinclair and his kilt-wearing lawyer held a press conference to tell the world of the future president's murderous, drug-and-sodomy-fueled crimes.
44. Obama's campaigns were funded by drug money: http://www.eastbayexpress.com/LegalizationNation/archives/2012/10/17/crazies-suggest-obama-campaign-funded-with-laundered-drug-money
During an October conference call organized to oppose pot legalization, a writer from Lyndon LaRouche's magazine asked about "reports [that both Obama's] 2008 and 2012 presidential campaigns have been financed in part by laundered drug money."
45. Obama is the Antichrist: Obviously. http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/antichrist.asp
Related: If you play his 2008 Democratic nomination acceptance speech backwards, you can hear him instruct listeners to do Satan's bidding. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqALdkTArqs
46. Obama is a lizard overlord:
According to codes hidden in Biblical verse, Obama is a reptilian humanoid. This idea has found its way on to some right-wing radio shows, and two Daily Caller reporters recently published a (satirical?) e-book on the topic titled, The Lizard King: The Shocking Inside Account of Obama's True Intergalactic Ambitions by an Anonymous White House Staffer.
47. Obama's adventures on Mars: As a teen, Obama participated in a CIA initiative to teleport to Mars using a top-secret "jump room." Self-described time travelers William Stillings and Andrew Basiago claim to have met the future POTUS at American space bases on the Red Planet. In early 2012, a spokesman for the National Security Council actually acknowledged these claims, and issued a fairly convincing denial. http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/01/obama-mars/
ORIGINAL ARTICLE http://m.motherjones.com/politics/2012/10/chart-obama-conspiracy-theories